'Uncover the Cotswolds' Themed Guide
The Cotswolds is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), an area that is defined with the rolling Cotswolds Hills and rural landscape. Its bedrock of golden-coloured Cotswolds stone has made its mark on the villages, market towns and stately houses and gardens that have been constructed from the same distinct stone. Naturally, the road trip will wind through the honey-coloured, world-renowned towns and villages, and picture-perfect country estates that the Cotswolds is known for. Enjoy the pretty streams and rivers winding through villages and the charming landscape.
Stretching over nearly 800 square miles, the Cotswolds is the largest AONB. This tour will take you along the length and breadth of the boundaries as well as to the highest point of the region, and through its beautiful valleys and vales. This means you will also have the opportunity to scratch under the surface of the whole of the Cotswolds, going off-the-beaten-track.
As you journey through the Cotswolds you will also travel through the ages and discover the history of the land and the ages that defined it. Commencing the times gone by with Neolothic settlements, Bronze and Iron Age forts, and Roman settlements. Learn about how the prosperous wool trade shaped affluent towns and provided the creation of several ‘wool churches’ in the Middle Ages. The more prominent towns in the Cotswolds highlight the the Regency period and the Victorians, including the Golden Age of Steam, taking you through thousands of years of history on your road trip.
There are plenty of attractions, top-tips, hidden gems and optional tours included, as well as great places to stop for food and drinks to ensure you make the most of your time in the Cotswolds.
COTSWOLDS TOWNS & VILLAGES
HISTORIC HOUSES & COUNTRYSIDE
ROMAN, ROYAL, REGENCY & MEDIEVAL HISTORY
THE FIVE VALLEYS
DAY TRIPS NEARBY
About Self-drive tour:
- Over 35 pages of information in one place
- Options for 3-10 days touring
- Up-to-date embedded links and contacts
- Honey-coloured towns and villages
- Hidden gems and off the beaten track places
- Houses, parks, gardens, boat trips and more
- 40+ walks, trails and tours
- Experiences and maps
- 75+ Attractions and days out
- Over 50 places to eat and drink en route
- Houses, Parks, & Gardens
- 120+ Selected campsites + Secret Stays™
- Food and drink destinations
- Save hours searching and checking
- Easy to download format
- Useful suggestions for your chosen time-frame
- Updated regularly
- Lifespan for 12 mths for planning and on the road